Obverse: Profile of President Barack Obama and Vice President Joseph Biden / “Second Inauguration” / “2013”
Reverse: View of the Capitol Building / “57th Presidential Inauguration” / “January 21, 2013” / “President Barack Obama” / “Vice President Joseph R. Biden, Jr.”
Edgemark: “2013 Medalcraft Mint – Green Bay WI Bronze”
Designer: Peer Hansen (obv.) / Staff (rev.)
Medallist: Medalcraft Mint
Mintage: (Gold) / (Silver) / To Order (Bronze)
- The Official 2013 Inaugural Medal follows the tradition of including an image of the vice president commemorating a second inauguration. This practice began with the inclusion of Vice President Richard Nixon on President Eisenhower’s 1957 Inaugural Medal.
- Medalcraft Mint selected Peer Hansen to design the obverse. Peer Hansen is notable for design work associated with Medallic Art Company.
- The 2013 Inaugural Medal was priced at $50 for a bronze version and $1,250 for a silver striking. The price of the silver medal is notable, as it tripled the first strike price of the 2009 Inaugural Medal.
- Medalcraft Mint indicated that the medals would be struck to order and had not set a limit on the number to be produced.
- The 2013 Inaugural Medal included a walnut stand, but no certificates or pamphlets.
A detailed guide to the Medals can be found here — The Book. Also, the Medals are discussed on this Coin World podcast and this Newman Numismatic Portal Symposium presentation.